The bride is usually the super shopper during the whole wedding process. She’s got a dress, shoes, purse, jewelry, pantyhose and makeup to buy – and that is just her outfit for the big day! Then there’s all the details such as the save the date announcements, wedding invitations, wedding favors, flowers, cake, cake topper, serving set, toasting flutes, bridesmaids gifts, etc… just to name a few. Whew! I’m getting tired just thinking about how many countless hours all that will take. If you’re the groom, you’ll be lucky if she does all this with her mom or girlfriend and not you!
Traditionally, the groom gives out groomsmen gifts to the guys that stand by him in the wedding party. After all, your buddies are taking time out of their lives and busy schedules to be part of your wedding ceremony. They may be a little stressed out about this so it is only fitting that you show you appreciate for their efforts. I mean, really. Most of your pals will be getting into a tux for the first times in their lives. That is a huge deal for a guy. Most guys don’t get that dressed up for anyone!
The dads, best man, the groomsmen, ushers, and ringbearer boy are all guys that the groom should definitely not forget. You can also get a modest gift for any special reader, photographer, pastor or priest that is putting forth an extra effort above and beyond their usual scope.
Groomsmen gifts need not be overly complicated or expensive. They should also not be something you drive yourself nuts picking out. Here are 10 suggestions for can’t-go-wrong groomsmen gifts. These are the most popular that have stood the test of time and wedding tradition:
1. Liquor flasks. This is a favorite of the younger crowd. If given early enough, the flasks can be used during the bachelor party. Although, most guys will save this one for the wedding reception. Some receptions will have a limited bar or no bar, so sometimes you have to bring your party with you for maximum fun. Get these flasks personalized with names, monograms or initials for a personal touch.
2. Glass mugs. Most glass mugs come in many sizes, with 25 oz and 13 oz. being the most popular. This is a good choice if you have someone in your wedding party that might not use a flask. A glass mug can be used for beer, soda, water, sports drinks, or any beverage at all. The smaller 13 oz. size is good for the ringbearer. You can give the big guys the 25 oz. mug and the smaller 13 oz. version to the little guy. Glass mugs can typically be engraved with names, titles, initials or dates in one or two lines to commemorate your special event and good times.
3. Pocket watches. Pocket watches are cool in an old-school sort of way. They are one of those gifts that no one would ever think to buy themselves, but when someone gets one they think it’s a neat gift. A pocket watch is a throw-back to yesteryear. It’s an old-fashioned twist on a modern item. Everyone uses a watch or clock. A pocketwatch can be carried daily in your pocket or kept for special occasion use. Engrave initials on these for a traditional look.
4. Money clips. There is a wide price range on money clips. You can get basic silver plated money clips for under $20. Or, you can spend $400+ for a thick 14K solid gold money clip. Whatever your budget, a money clip is a sophisticated gift. Sometimes a wallet is too bulky. If a guy has a money clip, he grabs some cash, his license and maybe one credit card, and he’s traveling light and ready to roll. Initials, monogram, name or a short message is all that needs to be engraved for that extra special touch.
5. Baseball bats and balls. Wood baseball bats are practical and special. They typically can be personalized with title (such as Best Man or Groomsman), recipient’s name, and bride and groom’s name, and wedding date. There is a lot of engraving real estate on a bat so you can fit a lot of information on there. Baseballs are also good for saying a lot in terms of personalization. You can get full size 34″ bats for your guys and maybe a mini wood bat or baseball for the ringbearer.
6. Leatherman multitools. Guys love gadgets. Leatherman tools fit the bill perfectly. The Leatherman Micra and Squirt won’t break the bank at around $20-$30. The Micra and Squirt are keychain size multitools. Or, go for a full size pliers with the Fuse, Blast or Wave. There are about a dozen models of Leatherman tools available. Pricing ranges from about $20 up to $100. All models can be engraved. This is certainly one of those items that a guy will keep forever. A tool is handy and will be used many times over the years.
7. Zippo Lighters. You don’t have a be a smoker to appreciate a Zippo lighter. There are hundreds of designs to choose from. You can pick sports team lighters for sports fans. Or go with basic chrome or brass lighters for everyone. It’s up to you. Here’s a chance to get really personal and unique , yet everyone gets the same thing: a lighter. You can pick out a special design lighter for each person that holds a special meaning or fits the recipient’s personality. Engraving makes this gift choice a winner.
8. Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. Let me say it again. Guys love gadgets. And there is nothing more gadgety than a Swiss Army Knife. Move over MacGyver. We got some groomsmen that need awesome pocket knives. Swiss Army Knives are not just knives. You can get basic models with a few features like a blade, scissors, toothpick and tweezers. You can go all out and get a model with over 50 features. It is all up to you and your budget. Engraving on the handle or blade is possible.
9. Cigar Holders. If you need an excuse to smoke some cigars, then a wedding is the answer. Hand out fine cigars to your buddies. But, make sure these cigars are placed into cigar tubes that have each been personalized with your guy’s name or initials. This is the ultimate in class.
10. Pub Signs and Coasters. A personalized bar sign and matching coasters will elicit the “wow” response from any guy. Pick out a sign with a graphics design that matches his personality. Hunting scene, martini glass, beach scene, automobile motif, pool table theme, and more are all available. Matching coasters can be added for a complete bar package. Starting in the low $30’s, these are definitely gifts that you can’t find at the mall. And, personalized coasters? These are the bomb! Your guys will love hanging these in their dens, kitchens, rooms, anywhere in their house and seeing their own names on them. The signs and coasters are colorful and unique and make for a great gift idea.
You can’t go wrong with any choices in the top ten groomsmen gift ideas listed above. Another surefire way to stay the course is to go with the same gift for all the guys on your list. Everyone gets the same gift. This way one person won’t get something cheaper or more expensive than the next guy. Each gift can be made unique to the recipient by the engraving and personalization. Be sure to pick up some gift cards, gift bags and tissue paper at the nearest greeting card store to go for maximum presentation power when you get ready to present your gifts.